Wednesday 19 June 2013

Day 9. On my way back to PTA

So i've made my decision after a night of pain and confusion, if I would like to continue my MTB career without any knee problems in the future, I need to pack up and go home......get to a doctor and solve this before its too late. I got up this morning as usual and wandered around the house whilst everyone is packing and getting ready to set off, the news got around very quickly and my emotions wanted the better of me but I stayed strong. Eventually its only Dave and Pierre to leave the house, then the goodbye.......although we have only been riding together for eight days, we had developed a very special bond, almost like a father and son kind of thing. I have the words respect for both of them. So you could have guessed what happened next, my emotions got the better of me when it come to goodbye time.

So eventually its only me left in the massive guest house, not sure how it works from here on or how I'm gonna get home. I went to my bed and just sit there for a while, staring at my bag and my cycling shoes......could this really be over? so soon? and then the tears just started rolling down my cheeks.....my dream adventure shattered to pieces. I allowed myself to calm down and regrouped.

Now a plan of action, there is no reception which made it worse, so I put on my jacket and went down to the farmers house where his wife opened the door, with red eyes I introduced myself and explained my situation, she immediately showed some sympathy and invited me for koffie. Never in my life had I met a friendlier family than this one. All 4 kids greeted me so politely and when Diederik (The farmer) returned from his normal morning inspection, he greeted me in the most respectful way, no questions asked, no judgement when I told them and no negative response.  Were these angels sent from heaven??

Diederik mentioned that he was taking the kids to hostile later the evening and that he will be more than willing to offer me a ride to Bloemfontein. Now I have never been in Bloemfontein.....didn't even know it was in the Free State. The phone was offered and I was assured that everything will be okay. I made all the calls to arrange transport from Bloemfontein.

After all the arrangements we sat down for a large breakfast, meat from the previous days braaivleis and krimmelpap, some yogurt and toast as well. After breakfast went to the guesthouse to     fetch all my stuff. I stripped my Steed and give her a proper wash, one that she deserved.......I mean she did her best and give me everything.


We left for Bloem at about 15h00 and got there just before 18h00.

During all this madness I really did the thinking thing, and this was my conclusion. Life itself is one big challenge, how do we know when we have given up, or let go too soon, or when to stop trying?? How do we know what life would have been like if we didn't give up this soon?? This is all rhetorical questions....ones that no one can answer, my only thought is that one should live everyday as if their is no tomorrow, and make your decisions based on the guidance from above knowing that the outcome will be as planned. And their will be no regrets. This picture below was taken in the farmers garden in front of his house, this explained their attitude towards life. 

Faith, Hope and Love
Dit was nou n mond vol ne......hahaha.
Thanks to all my followers. Hope to hear from you soon. 

PS. Love Living life. The Cow stile. Moooooo!!!!!






10 comments:

  1. There is no shame in this! Even eight days out there! All I can say is: RESPECT! Life comes with its challenges and hurdles and how we live with it, make peace with it, it can develop your character into something bigger and better in a humble way. This Freedom Challenge race, I have been very intrigued with over the past 3 years being a road cyclist myself over the past 18yrs and mountain biker the past 2yrs. I have every once of respect for the men & women who do this! All the best for your recovery! - Clint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are summing up my feelings and emotions that I felt in 2012 when I had to pull out. The devastation, the emotions, it is raw but real. Freedom Challenge is there for you to come back. Build on what you have learned from all of this. Tears bring healing....well done to you! Keep riding, look after yourself....Just thinking now, the decision to ride the Freedom Challenge is a tough one to make but the decision to pull out is harder and braver. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Clint. I must admit that this was the best 8 days of my life. The scenery, people and the route. We couldn't have asked for better weather as well. I see myself as blessed to be part of this epic journey for 8 days. The knees will be fine, some lessons learned: Your bike needs to be set up according to your posture, sealskin socks is a must and my bike push very lekka. LOL. Thanks a million Clint.

      Delete
    3. Gerda. I have read your blog.........Kili to Cape Town. Now that’s some serious riding. Waw. I'm struggling to even imagine it. Well done. I see you are also a follower of “Two old Farts on bicycles” Andy Masters blog, I had the privilege of riding with him for 8 days, what a super human. Thanks for the comment Gerda.

      Delete
  2. Slegs 'n dwaas sal aanhou as hy weet dat hy permanente skade gaan kry. Jou besluit was nie net alleen reg nie, maar ook volwasse en dapper. Jy het die voorreg gehad om 'n baie spesiale ervaring te he en te weet waarom Suid-Afrika so 'n spesiale land is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ek moet erken ek is bly ek het betyds gestop, dit gee my n regverdige kaans om te herstel. E
      En soos jy se, dit is n deel van ons pragtige land wat bitter min mense ooit sal sien (veral Lehana’s pass). Ek voel geerd om te weet dat ek dit wel gesien het. Dankie baie vir die comment.

      Delete
  3. MY GREATEST RESPECT ..... sorry .... but just think of what you have gained in only 8 days!!! I think day 1 deserved its own accolade.
    But .. now what do I do ..... no more blog!!!!
    Thank you for all your bits and pieces I have enjoyed them and forwarded them to all and sundry. Hope your knees recover soon :) Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine
      You are absolutely right; like for instance, I couldn’t believe that a person could climb aver that amount of mountains with a bicycle on his back.......especially Lianas Pass. There is no greater feeling when standing on top of the world and know that you have accomplished what so many South Africans only dream of. What a privilege to live. LOVE LIVING LIVE.

      Delete
  4. Inderdaad 'n baie moeilike, maar dapper besluit wat jy moes neem. Dankie dat jy jou emosies so met ons gedeel het. Gee terugvoer oor jou knie en dankie vir die foto van ons kinders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danki baie Hildegardt
      Ek moet erken dat dit n voorreg was om saam met sulke twee wonderlikke mense te ry. Julle kan opreg baie trots wees op hulle. En dit vir n wittebrood. Dit is min dat n mens nog vandag getroude paartjies kry wat sulke epic gebeurtenisse aanpak. Ek haal my hoed vir hulle af en weet dat hulle n groot sukses daarvan gaan maak. Dankie baie vir die comment.

      Delete